Friday, September 3, 2010

ESS Eve

Well, it's the night before Empire Skate Showdown.  We had a really great practice last night and I am so pumped to head to Long Island tomorrow and have a great time.  From what I understand, every team is guaranteed to play at least three 30 minute bouts.  Hmm, only 30 minutes.  I think this could be good and bad.  It's going to be a long day, so 30 minutes games (instead of games with two 30 minute periods) will definitely allow us to play all day without tiring out too bad by the last game.  However, sometimes I think teams need the first period just to warm up and get used to the strategy of the team they're playing.  Then, in the second period, that's when things really come out in the wash.  But sometimes things are tied neck and neck through both periods.  Hopefully after our first game, we'll be warmed up, ready to play, and ready to kick some butt.

One other thing that I just can't get over... this tournament must be so much work for the Long Island Roller Rebels (LIRR) to put together.  I can't imagine the magnitude of organization.  Roller derby is so home grown, too, so that makes it even more impressive in my eyes.  The skaters build everything from the ground up (with the help of volunteers, of course!) and then skate their hearts out playing the game they love.  I am very proud to be part of this tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment