Friday, November 5, 2010

Meat Locker Missive #4

Fresh Meat Interview: Rock Lobster
By Hellions Fresh Meat: Roadkill

In the first of a series of interviews with my fellow Hellions "meat," I present our resident craft-manic, tutu-toting meat girl, Rock Lobster:

What brought you to join the Hellions and to roller derby in the first place?
My path to roller derby started with a moment of clarity. I attended my first ever bout and at about half time I couldn't stand it anymore; I needed to play. It felt like I had found something I was missing. I was at a place in my life where I needed something to prod me on and roller derby became that something.
What's inspires you, and or what in your life has prepared you to keep coming back and to excel in this sport?
I think the primary skill all new girls have in common is that ability to show up to practice and at least try to do what they say even when it looks like a really bad idea. Beyond this universal starting point what drives each of us is unique, for me it is my extreme competitiveness. Winning is important to me, each new skill I master is a win, each practice I attend when I would rather nap is a win, each time I fail and try again is a win. Roller derby has provided all of those gold stars of accomplishment I miss from school.


How has playing this sport and being part of the Hellions community affected you and your family?
The Hellions community is my first ever exposure to a team atmosphere. I was surprised by how together they are, truly they have formed a strong sense of unity while still being competitors. These are girls who will try very hard to knock me down and then give equal effort to help me back up. I skate harder to earn my place.

What are you finding to be the most challenging part of roller derby?
The biggest challenge I face is myself, which is probably true of most girls. I am very hard on myself, when you challenge a classic over achiever either she excels or she implodes. I am never truly satisfied with my skills, praise rolls off my back and I focus on what should have been better. My challenge is treating each practice as a clean slate, each lap as a new opportunity.


The most rewarding part of derby?
Being very very tired.

Anything else you'd like our readers and fans to know about you?
Roller derby slowly creeps into your identity, being able to skate low makes you stand taller; exercise is more fun when it consists of left turns and all you need to join is the ability to show up.

Catch up on previous Meat Locker Missives here.

No comments:

Post a Comment