Tuesday, August 3, 2010

An "Epic" First Home Bout

Guest blog post by Epic Kate-tastrophe


This wasn't the first bout I have ever played in but it was my first home bout. I knew it was going to be a different experience than any of the other times I've played. It was our home turf, the floor we were use to playing on, and for once I wasn't nervous while getting ready.

Brian, Uncle Bernie, Gary, Me
At 6 p.m. the doors opened up and people started to make their way through the door. The rink started to fill up and everyone seemed excited to be there. It was awesome how many fans came to support and cheer on the Hellions but personally I loved how many people were there to cheer me on. I had at least twenty people there if not more who came to see me play and find out what derby was all about. The best part was when I went over to say hi to everyone and realized I had a surprise guest. My stepdads Uncle Bernie was there, all the way from St. Louis, Missouri which was nice because I haven't seen him since I was little.  I'm glad I got to share something that has become such a big part of my life with so many members of my family and friends.

Around 7 p.m. we finally got started. While out on the track Wii Block Her from the ManchVegas Roller Girls was standing behind me and said "Hey, we have the same number". I told her I picked 603 because of my birthday but I wasn't sure why she had picked it and didn't have time to ask because the whistle blew. Every time we were out on the track together became a battle of the numbers but it was fun. After the bout I found out 603 is the area code in New Hampshire which is where the ManchVegas Roller girls are from. I never thought I would meet a girl with the same number as me but I did.

I had an amazing time during this bout. I had a lot of family and friends there supporting me, met another 603, and we won!

No comments:

Post a Comment