Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Jerry Seltzer's Blog

I recently came across Jerry Seltzer's roller derby blog. His father, Leo Seltzer, "invented" roller derby (in one way or another - there's a LOT of history and important characters in roller derby's history). Leo made the sport and spectacle popular through his impressive booking and promoting skills.

http://jerryseltzer.wordpress.com
Jerry has been writing his blog since June 2010 and it's a very personal insight to his life growing up with derby and what his thoughts are on the current incarnation. Jerry is in his 70s, so that also offers a unique perspective.

It seems like he's really proud of the newly found legitimacy of the sport. Periodically he'll reflect on derby's triumph's:
"Several things were apparent that I had not seen before: the conditioning of the athletes, the legal viciousness of the blocking, and the complete comprehension of the complexities of the game (say that fast!).....I had so many different thoughts: I wished my father had been able to see this amazing match and how his dream of legitimacy in Roller Derby had proved itself." -Jerry Seltzer, 10/4/10
I also read that he'll be at the 2010 WFTDA Championships in Chicago in November. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment