Monday, September 20, 2010

Recap: North Central Regionals

The weekend of September 10-12 was the beginning of this year's Big 5 WFTDA events.  The first of four regional tournaments leading up to Nationals.  The North Central Regionals: Thunda on the Tundra!

On Friday, I was excited to hear that my favorite midwest derby team, the Minnesota Rollergirls, easily won their first bout of the day (while I was at work, so I missed it).  Friday night, I did get to watch them play the #2 ranked Detroit Derby Girls on Derby News Network (DNN).  What a game!  It was neck and neck through out.  Not sure anyone saw that coming, but I was excited!  Read more about Day 1 here.

Note Mr. T's Yankees t-shirt and my London
Rollergirls shirt.  You know who we really love.
Saturday and Sunday I was in NYC with Mr. T visiting his sister.  We went to a Mets game on Saturday (they won, woohoo!)  Mr. T actually loves the Yankees but we got hooked up with these seats so who doesn't love a baseball game?

So, while the Mets and Phillies fans were sweating over who would win the second game of the series, I was desperately checking DNN/twitter/facebook/anything to figure out who was playing who and who was winning.  Minnesota had to play Madison, WI, another tournament favorite, to make the top three.  Again, another close game but Minnesota came out on TOP!  WFTDA Day 2 Recap.  Sunday, however, Minnesota would have to take on Chicago's Windy City Roller Girls - tournament favorite and #1 going into it all.

Far left: derby booty.
Sunday we went to an art reception at New Rochelle.  I knew Minnesota didn't play Windy City until later in the evening, so I enjoyed the afternoon.  As we were getting on the bus I knew it was about that time.  I figured out I could get play-by-play text updates on DNN, so using my dying iPhone, between dozing off on the bus, I caught bits of the game.  Windy City ended up winning the tournament, but Minnesota will advance in the #2 position.  Sweet!  Full WFTDA tournament recap here.

The next play off tournament takes place September 24-26 - Eastern Regionals in Westchester!  It's Derby in the Burbs hosted by Suburbia Roller Derby.  Luckily, I will be there in person!

Oh, by the way, one cool derby website I discovered that weekend: Roller Derby Inside Track!  Pretty new, but lots of good articles already.  It also features one of the most interesting people I follow on twitter: @CoachCaesar.  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment