Monday, July 26, 2010

Interview with Missy "Misdemeanor" HellaHit

A new feature to my blog: Hellions interviews!  First up: Missy "Misdemeanor" HellaHit!

What was your first roller derby experience?  Were you hooked right away?

My first derby experience was back on February 15, 2009. My husband had picked up a flier in the gym that week that had our last name on it to see what it was for.  (Yes it is true, thanks to him, I really am a legit Helion.  But with one L).  My husband was familiar with Roller Derby; while I, on the other hand, had no idea even what it was.  So that Sunday we went up to The Fun Spot in Glens Falls to see what it was all about.  The girls were amazing.  Minutes into the game I was cheering and loving this new sport that I had never known about before.  I took one look at my husband and said "I can see myself doing this."  The Hellions were holding a recruitment night the following Monday.  I wanted to play so badly, but was afraid of just how much a commitment I would have to give of my personal life.  With a lot of support from my husband, family, and friends, I went to the recruitment night.  It did not take long at all for me to fall in love with Roller Derby, let alone my fellow sister Hellions. 

What's your favorite position to play?  How do you like to interact with the other 5 girls on the track?  
Missy "Misdemeanor" is all about working as a team.
I really enjoy being a Pivot.  I have a big mouth (hehehe) and I work well with others so controlling the pack and making sure my teammates know what is going on at all times is important to me.  I like to work with both verbal and non verbal communication out on the track.  Our regular practice schedule allows me the opportunity to see what teammates work well with both variations.  Some I just have to tap or move, while others I'll verbally communicate to.  What is great about a pack is as teammates we work hard to always have each others' back out there.  If one girl misses, the next one makes her move.  We are never out there alone.  That is the most rewarding. 

Missy leading the team during introductions.
Did you play other sports before derby?  
I played softball for about 8 years.  I was a catcher.  Or as those who are familiar with baseball/softball... "leader of the field."  A catcher forms a bond with its pitcher and players and signals the next move.  I guess you could say I've had the leadership trait all along ;)  Playing softball was certainly some of the most rewarding times in my childhood.  From the tremendous family support I received, to All-Star games, to being in news paper clippings, etc.  It was a fun time for me.  

If you had to pick any other name besides Missy "Misdemeanor" HellaHit, what would it be?
Ohhh I had sooo many picked out.  My all time favorite though until I checked twoevils.com was Lucky Harm (instead of Lucky Charm).  The girl who has that name is definitely cool in my book!

Any parting thoughts?
They have a saying... "Roller Derby Saved My Soul"... and honestly, it is the truth.  There is just something about Roller Derby that no other sport has.  Maybe its the determination to be the best?  The hard work and perserverance that everyone has to give of themselves? The feeling of being your own local celebrity and love of the fans?  The empowerment of an all female sport? Or the amazing sisterhood and friendships I have formed as a part of joining this league and sport.  All I know is... I would not change it for the world.  I hope Roller Derby lives on forever and that I get to continue to ride this adventure into the sunset.  

No comments:

Post a Comment